Join the Scottish SPCA’s new scheme to encourage everyone to buy responsibly
Do you breed puppies in Scotland and want to make sure you find the best homes for them? Do you want to change how the public thinks when they buy a puppy? Do you want to play a part of stopping the illegal trafficking of puppies and promoting good animal welfare? Then please join our exciting new free scheme and choose to become a ‘Scottish SPCA Assured Puppy Breeder’.
Why has the Scottish SPCA launched the Assured Breeders Scheme?
We want to encourage the public to buy puppies that are healthy and that together with their siblings and parents have grown up in an environment that is clean, safe and has provided everything they need whilst meeting high animal welfare standards. As an animal welfare charity we would always encourage rehoming of animals but we know that the public are always looking to buy puppies at a much faster rate than what is legally available and often turn to the quick ‘next day’ delivery service option of internet shopping for animals.
This has led to mass production of puppies in the UK and the rapid growth of an illegal puppy trade. This is fuelled by public demand and driven by profit margins with little regard for animal welfare in breeding bitches, stud dogs or the litters they produce. These poor dogs are often kept in horrendous conditions and are removed from their mothers far too young. They are rarely vaccinated or health screened and often unsocialised, all of which commonly lead to medical and behavioural problems. Many dogs bred this way develop hereditary issues and catch diseases such as parvo virus which can be fatal. It is not fair on these poor dogs – and unsuspecting owners are often left to deal with the consequences.
We’ve decided enough is enough and it is time to take a stand. It is time to promote the breeders in Scotland who are doing it right and do all we can to direct the public to responsible breeders – which we hope the Scottish SPCA Assured Puppy Breeder Scheme will help do.
Why join our scheme?
- It’s free
- It’s open to anyone who breeds dogs including those who are members of the Kennel Club Assured Breeders Scheme and those who require to be licensed by a local authority
- The scheme is available for breeders who breed any type of dog including cross breeds
- We have partnered with Petplan so that every breeder can offer 4 weeks free insurance to a new owner for every puppy sold
- We have partnered with Canine Health Schemes so that breeders can access a 15% discount when running tests for hip and elbow dysplasia
- Any breeder who is part of our scheme gets free advertising through our dedicated website which has been visited by over 250,000 people
- As Scotland’s animal welfare charity, members will benefit from continued promotion of the scheme by the Scottish SPCA to a massive audience nationwide
- Breeders get an info-packed welcome pack to give every new owner which will help every puppy can settle well into their new home
- Our dedicated area to register a litter means members of the public will be able to view available puppies
- We offer support to all assured breeders year-round – our animal helpline is open every single day
How do you join?
- Read our Assured Puppy Breeder Scheme Terms and Conditions and make sure you are happy with the criteria set
- Complete the application form
- On receipt of your application form your local Scottish SPCA inspector will then phone within 7 days to arrange a visit
If you have a question about our scheme at any time please just call us. We are available every day of the year and you can reach us by calling our Animal Helpline on 03000 999 999 (option 3).
Hear why Sonja joined the Assured Puppy Breeder Scheme…
Please note the scheme is being piloted by the Scottish SPCA in Scotland and is not currently available in the rest of the UK.